Sunday, April 19, 2009

Arizona meet New Mexico

Let me just point out the technology at work here.

Driving across the country in a car powered by electricity and stored in batteries my laptop and my phone charge as I type this. Unworried about our location, a satellite in outer space beams our exact coordinates to a hi-def nav computer ready to speak aloud exact directions to any location we might decide to go. Science fiction is becoming increasingly less fiction, and more science.

The road-trip part of the road-trip has set in and we’re now officially “out”. California lays 800 miles in the other direction as Arizona gives way to New Mexico with barely a wink and slight change in cacti. (Such cacti have wispy sticks at their tops with plumes that look unmistakably Dr. Seussian. Coupled with the Road Runner I almost hit in Palm Springs this trip has so far been a tour of my cartoon childhood in the great, vast, west.)

Road-trips, when they mature past the hectic first day of packing and leaving, sink in like a good tan. To set a destination and “fun” your way to it is divine. If I can boast one thing our European friends do not have it’s the great American road-trip, Paris is nice this time of year but America is sumpin else. And seeing it this efficiently is rad - I’ve never covered so much ground and spent so little on gas.

And we’ve seen some really cool things so far. Yesterday we took a detour into White Sands National Park after a border patrol crossing on the Arizona / New Mexico border. The sand was packed hard and kinda cold but just as gorgeous as any morning-after-snow I’ve ever seen. Jamal wanted some R&B album-cover shots so he put on his blazer and we shot a couple pix that would make Babyface jealous. As we left we saw a bunch of guys with sleds hanging ten down the dunes. If I wasn’t so obviously in Arizona I’d swear I was in Alaska.

Oh and I also had some beef jerkey on a roadside pit-stop that was hands-down the best beef jerkey out there. Pack-up-the-fam-and-move-just-to-be-cloer-good. I will not be the same after.

Looks like we’re headed to Roswell tonight – Jamal wants to go to the UFO museum to prove Aliens do exist, and I want to go to the UFO museum to prove they don’t – you’ll just have to find out tomorrow what we came up with.

So that’s it for now my inter-web friends. Tomorrow is of course another journey and another big day of getting somewhere far without stretching our footprint.

Doesn’t hurt I have a computer who tells me where to go along the way…

- Leebo

No comments:

Post a Comment